Monday, October 04, 2010

Gear and staying fit . . .

So this is going to be the first of a number of posts where I talk about some of the gear related to one of my loves, which just happens to be a great way to stay fit.  I cycle for fitness, for pleasure, for fun, and to get away from things that are bothering me for a while.  When I get on Serenity and get moving, I'm leaving calories and problems behind me, taking the time to really be present while riding, focused on what I'm doing and soaking every last bit of pleasure out of a ride.

That said, I want to be safe, and careful.  I want, should God forbid something horrible to happen and I cannot speak for myself, some way for first responders to get to know me some.  I don't have any significant life threatening issues that require me to wear a medical alert ID, and frankly, they just don't have enough information on them.  There are any number of different ways to address identification and notification information, including of course carrying a wallet, but like most people working out, I don't want to carry a wallet with me.  Both from a standpoint of the extra stuff to carry, and the risk of having it stolen.  I have an ICE (In Case of Emergency) entry in my gphone, but again, should it be stolen or damaged again I'd be in trouble.

So while I was looking into getting a new bike, I came across a product in a bike shop in San Fransisco called RoadID.  Actually it's a series of products for athletes that serve as identification when one is out doing whatever one does, be it running, jogging, walking or in my case, cycling.  It's inexpensive, very lightweight, comes in a number of formats and provides optionally very serious and secure detailed information about one in times of need.  I started out with the Interactive Sport Wrist Band Road ID and wear it pretty much anytime I leave the house.  With the Interactive version, first responders, doctors and law enforcement will be able to call, or logon online to the service that securely manages my information.  Like who to notify, what my Drivers License number is, what Medications I'me taking and how often, who my Doctors are and how to reach them, as well as my Health Insurance ID and whatever else I feel like putting in there.  One simple wrist or ankle band, or a little pouch that connects to my shoes or inside my helmet has all the information that I'd normally have in my wallet.  I hope never to need to have it used, but I rest a bit easier knowing that God forbid the absolute worst happen, I'm not just some Jane Doe in a fridge somewhere.

So like I say, I started with the wrist ID back a while ago, but a conversation with a friend had me thinking.  RoadID will work if the first responders see it, think to look at it, and both to connect to the service and pull my records.  What if however they don't notice it or think to follow up on the information it can provide them access to other than my name?  So I thought about getting involved in educating first responders to be aware of the ID and to know to look for it.  I may still do that, but I realized there is one universal piece of identification that professionals recognize on sight and no to look at.  The age old Military "Dog tag!"  First Responders, Doctors, Law Enforcement all know what a Dog Tag is, and that it usually identifies the wearer.

And thus, my second RoadID purchase the FIXX ID!  Nice normal military Dog Tag that anyone will see and recognize in an instant, but a 21st century version that is connected to my existing interactive identification on the secure server.  One profile that both my IDs connect to.  Wear it around my neck, tucked into my bra and off I go!

No comments: