Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What "generation" is one actually a part of?

This question has perplexed me for a goodly number of years, especially given the great disparity in answers I've been given by so called authorities on the subject. This evening while reading other blogs for recreation purposes, I came across an interesting "test" to determine what generation I am a part of based on media usage.

First, I'll back up a bit by sharing that depending on who ones asks, and when, I'm either a Boomer, Gen Jones (Post Boom but not X) or Gen X. This is based purely on the number of the year this shell was born in. 1964 technically puts me at the tail end of the boomers, but I've NEVER felt like part of that group. Similarly Gen Jones, and Gen X have left me wanting. Never really felt like part of them either.

The test I took tonight, places me squarely in the Gen Y group, which I find amusing, and not at all surprising. Find out for yourself at Penelope Trunk's Brazen Careerist blog. She has a post about this very subject with a test attached. Plus I just enjoy reading her blog now and again because I really appreciate her view of the universe...

1 comment:

Véro B said...

I'm definitely a boomer, yet I score right between Generations X and Y. Goes to show you that generalizing has its limitations. :)