Friday, September 26, 2008

Meditation

I'm not one to rest on my laurels so to speak. I'm always looking for something new to learn, a different view, a new technique, whatever. As such I've signed up for a regular e-mail based meditation course. Mind you I've been meditating my whole life, even before I knew what it was. I often use it as a refuge from boredom if you can imagine that... Have to sit in the doctor's office waiting to be seen? Read a magazine or meditate? Oh, such a hard choice. For me it's a no brainer, I meditate.

So I'm reading the newest tip from this course and just kind of chuckling. It's aimed obviously at someone who is brand new to meditation. So the topic is counting to 21 and back. They are talking about how hard it might seem at first. Me, I'm just having a good chuckle because sometimes I'll go to 100 and back, 200, even 500 now and again. It's great. It's so easy to do for me because I've been doing it my whole life. I mean since I was a kid.

As I was pondering it, I realized that it's so easy for me because I once spent most of a lifetime meditating. I lived in a monistary (I was a monk then) and would routinely spend entire days meditating. It was what I did. Wake up, meditate, have breakfast, meditate right through till afternoon meal, meditate more, evening meal, meditate and then sleep. Often I'd miss afternoon meal cause I lost track of time. There where chores and things like that, work around the place, teaching, what have you, but always mediation. That was Monastic life. One day I just meditated right out of physical existence. I was working on acension then, so that was the point. Now I'm working on individuation, but I still meditate regularly, daily, because it's helping me not get caught up in the world. For me, meditation is a refuge. A quiet place of stillness and beauty no matter where I am or what's going on around me. It allows me to partake of the world without being worldly, it is the reminder that while this is all very real, it's very short term.

Why do I mention this? Not to brag about how good I am at meditating, not hardly. Frankly sometimes I wonder if it isn't a crutch for me sometimes, a way of intentionally not dealing with life. Away to avoid being bored. I kid you not, it's a way not to be bored for me.

But. I know how hard it can seem for some people. Oh God's count to 21 and back? I'll never be able to do that. 100? 500? Even a thousand! As with anything, the more you practice, the easier it gets, the easier it gets, the more you practice... It becomes part of who you are, you find yourself doing it instead of say humming even... Okay, bad example. Frankly I can't think of anything it compares to... Wait! I've got it! Breathing! It becomes as easy as breathing! Best part is, it makes breathing better. You slow down some, you breath deeper, more fully, you become more present in your own life. It's so damn cool!

Tired, run down some? Meditate, it'll bring you up! All wound up, angry, restless, not feeling too good, can't get to sleep? Meditate, it'll bring you down some and let you ease into sleep when you are ready! I know, it sounds crazy, but it's true. Does all this and more! High blood pressure? Don't want to take pills? Mediation can, and when you get good at it often does, a better job than medication! Okay, quick disclaimer here: DO NOT STOP TAKING MEDS if you are on them unless, or until a Doctor says so, or you start having low blood pressure drops.

Okay, so, for those who would like to know more about meditation? How about a totally free course, that mails a lesson to you once a week for a while. Yup, perfectly free, and by someone who really knows what they are talking about. Easy as pie...

http://arobuddhism.org/meditation/learn-buddhist-meditation.html


Enjoy!

No comments: