Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Oh my, what a day . . .

So I got up and out of the hotel this morning right around the time that I should have been checking out anyway and got an early start on what should have been, and was, a short day! I was on I70 highway before noon, and made good time to the CO line. My goal was the Front Range, and Denver, before sunset! Made good time, by just shy of 15:00 mountain I was crossing the line into Colorado. When I was just west of Limon I could see Pikes Peak, small and in the distance, but I knew I was getting closer! About a hundred miles out I could see the mountains, my mountains, small and in the distance but growing with each passed mile.

The tears welled up in my eyes and threatened to choke off my throat, I could only sit there crying, driving and saying 'mou, mou, mou, mou, mou, mou' for something like 25 or 30 miles. Had anyone been in the car with me they'd have had me locked up I 'spect. No matter! I was almost home, almost 'safe' back in the loving embrace of those magestic peaks. Several phone calls, and a few rest stops later I was looking at the Denver skyline, and beyond it the first hints of a sunset in the mountains. A full decade since my last, I just drank in the beauty of it all. I watched every lovely second of sunset over the Rockies, taking my time making the last miles to my sisters house last.

It was in fact nearly dark by the time I pulled into the neighborhood to see my sister standing there waiting for me, talking to me on the phone while I drove up. She sure was a sight for sore eye's, and especially mine. Last time we'd been in the same State, let alone the same room, was more than a year ago. I was home . . .

No comments: